Department of Accounting Mission
The mission of the Department of Accounting is to provide the highest quality instruction and curricula in our academic programs, relevant intellectual contributions through research, and service to the university, profession and public.
In our BBA and MS programs, we prepare students to become ethical leaders in a profession that is characterized by continuous change. Our programs help students develop a diverse set of skills including technical competence, critical thinking, interpersonal and communication abilities, technology expertise and global awareness. Our PhD program develops accounting scholars who can make contributions in scholarship and teaching at leading universities. To accomplish the objectives of our programs, the department maintains an environment which fosters outstanding teaching, active learning, scholarship, continuous improvement and innovation, and service to students.
We provide an environment that fosters relevant intellectual contributions by our faculty to the body of knowledge of accounting and related fields. These contributions include basic scholarship, applied scholarship, contributions to accounting theory and instructional development. We strive to integrate this research into students’ learning processes in our academic programs.
We provide an environment that fosters educational and professional service by our faculty which benefits the university community, the accounting profession and the public.
In addition, the department continues to focus on the following specific strategic initiatives:
- Attracting students with excellence academic qualities and future potential.
- Achieving diversity among our students, faculty and staff.
- Continuing review of the content, delivery and structure of the curricula regarding its effectiveness, relevance and cost efficiency. We continue to focus on competencies including analytical thinking and problem solving, written and oral communications, leadership, teamwork and information technology.
- Fostering high quality research and publications.
- Ensuring the availability and use of current information technology by faculty, students and staff.
- Focusing administrative leadership and organizational structure on supporting continuous innovation and creativity.