Entrepreneurship Empowerment in South Africa
Entrepreneurship and Empowerment in South Africa (EESA) is a six-week study abroad experience. This highly selective program offers a number of unique features and benefits:
- Work experience in an international setting: Students who enroll in this program travel to Cape Town, South Africa where they work on consultant teams.
- Development of practical solutions: Participants assist local emerging entrepreneurs to develop practical solutions to pressing problems in surrounding townships.
- Cultural immersion: Students experience the cultural context in which these entrepreneurs live and work and become acquainted with the distinct challenges that these entrepreneurs face.
Selection criteria: This program is open to upper level undergraduate and graduate students who have a 3.0 GPR or higher. All majors are welcome to apply.
Selection process: Interested students must complete the online EESA application. After submitting a completed application, candidates are interviewed by the Center for New Ventures and Entrepreneurship (CNVE) staff. Students who are accepted into the EESA program need to complete additional applications with Texas A&M University Study Abroad Office and the University of Florida.
Course credit: Students may earn course credit for participating in this program. EESA is hosted in partnership with University of Florida, which awards course credit to participants.
Applications for our Summer 2016 Program are Closed!!
Important dates for Summer 2016:
- Housing in South Africa begins – June 10, 2016
- EESA program begins – June 12, 2016
- EESA program ends – July 22, 2016
- Housing in South Africa ends – July 23, 2016
Tuition and fees: This program costs approximately $4,600 for tuition and fees. These funds cover:
- All accommodations
- Six credit hours of coursework through the University of Florida
- University of Cape Town program fee
- All books and materials
- In-country transportation
- Daily breakfast
- Outings to Cape Point, Robben Island, Table Mountain and a tour of the wine country
Additional costs: Students will need to cover additional costs beyond tuition and fees. These costs include:
- Passport and visa
- Round-trip international air transportation to South Africa (approximately $1,300-$2,000 from Houston)
- Most meals (lunch and dinner for each day, estimated at approximately $600 total for the six weeks)
- International health insurance
- Incidentals (e.g., gifts and personal items, estimated at approximately $300 total)
Scholarships: Scholarships for this program are available through the CNVE and the Texas A&M Study Abroad Programs Office. Accepted applicants who apply by the priority consideration deadline automatically receive a $1,000 scholarship through CNVE. Students may apply for the Texas A&M Study Abroad Scholarship in the spring.
Learn more about additional scholarships available through the Texas A&M Scholarships and Financial Aid Office.
For More Information: EESA is a partnership between the University of Florida, Oklahoma State University, the University of Colorado, Texas A&M University, and the University of the Western Cape. Visit EESA at the University of Florida for more information.