The Center for the Management of Information Systems (CMIS) brings students, faculty, and industry members together in active partnerships focused on the use of information technologies in businesses and organizations. The benefits of these partnerships include unique educational opportunities for students, research opportunities for faculty and access to top talent for industry members.
CMIS coordinates several events, which include:
- CMIS Summer Workshop (formerly known as Leadership Retreat): CMIS hosts a three-day leadership retreat for MIS students prior to the beginning of the Fall Semester. Participants hear from guest speakers on leadership-related topics, participate in group team-building activities and network with their peers and corporate representatives. Students and CMIS Board members have an opportunity to network at an informal dinner and ice cream social.
- Speed Networking: Students and CMIS Board members meet one-on-one for seven minute sessions. They rotate until students have met with one representative from every CMIS Board Member company. This event occurs right before recruiting season in the Fall Semester.
- Case Competition: This competition, which is hosted by the CMIS corporate advisory board, offers undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to sharpen their analytic, presentation and teamwork skills. Students also interact with CMIS Board members in an informal dinner and lunch setting. This event occurs both in the Fall and Spring Semesters.
- Women in IT Conference: The center hosts this Spring Semester event to encourage female students to network and learn from women who are building their careers in information technology. Participants include CMIS Board members, MIS former students, and current students at Texas A&M and sister schools. Senior executives, managers, professionals, and new hires interact with current students on an informal basis sharing insights and enjoying a host of speakers and topics.
- Career Night: In conjunction with the MIS Department, CMIS hosts a career night for current students. CMIS Industry representatives provide information and insights in the all encompassing field of MIS.
- Scholarships and Field Trips: CMIS Board members sponsor a variety of scholarships and field trips coordinated through the center.