History

Texas A&M University’s Mays Business School educates more than 5,600 undergraduate, master’s and doctoral students in accounting, finance, management of information systems, management, marketing and supply chain management. The school consistently ranks among the top public business schools.

Mays partners with national and regional business executives to deliver relevant education shaped by industry expectations and insights. Mays’ home in the Wehner Building offers a dynamic learning environment for faculty and students, featuring interactive teaching tools, wireless Internet throughout the building and multiple computer labs.

Mays is accredited by AACSB-International, the premier accrediting agency and service organization for business schools. Our mission is creating knowledge and developing ethical leaders for a global society.

Milestones in Mays history

1876-1920

  • Business education intermingled with mechanical and agricultural programs. Courses included single- and double-entry bookkeeping and creamery management.

1920

  • Department of Economics offers business courses

1921

  • Agricultural Administration programs offers business courses

1926

  • Formation of accounting and statistics, farm and ranch management, marketing and finance departments

1946

  • Department of Business and Accounting formed in School of Arts & Sciences, Thomas W. Leland named department head
  • First master’s degree awarded in accounting and statistics

1951

  • General MBA degree offered
  • Department moves from temporary structure into Francis Hall

1953

  • Center for Executive Development established

1961

  • School of Business Administration formed; John E. Pearson becomes head after the retirement of Thomas W. Leland

1965

  • School of Business departmentalized into programs of study in accounting, business analysis and research, finance, marketing and management

1966

  • Implementation of MBA degree

1968

  • College of Business Administration formed; John E. Pearson named dean

1972

  • College accredited by American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business
  • First Ph.D. awarded

1978

  • William V. Muse appointed dean upon the retirement of John E. Pearson

1980

  • First business career fair held

1981

  • College moves to the Blocker Building

1983

  • William H. Mobley appointed dean, succeeding Clinton A. Phillips who served as interim dean for one year
  • Center for Retailing Studies established
  • Fellows Program created

1985

  • Center for International Business Studies created

1987

  • A. Benton Cocanougher appointed dean after interim dean Don Hellriegel serves for one year
  • Texas Real Estate Center moves to college from College of Agriculture
  • Center for New Ventures and Entrepreneurship created

1989

  • Center for the Management of Information Systems created

1990

  • Center for Human Resource Management established
  • Center for International Business funded as a Center for International Business Education and Research

1991

  • Implementation of the bachelor’s degree in agribusiness

1992

  • Professional Program in Accounting formed
  • Outstanding Alumni Awards established

1994

  • Center for the Study of Western Hemispheric Trade created

1995

  • College moves to the Wehner Building
  • Graduate Business Career Services center created

1996

  • College is endowed by Mr. Lowry Mays ’57, founder and CEO of Clear Channel Communications endows. In honor of this $15 million gift, the college is renamed the Lowry Mays College & Graduate School of Business.

1998

  • Implementation of master’s degree in agribusiness

1999

  • Executive MBA Program accepts first class
  • Reliant Energy Trading Center founded
  • College adopts enrollment management for the undergraduate program

2001

  • Jerry R. Strawser ’83 becomes dean upon the retirement of A. Benton Cocanougher

2002

  • College renamed to Mays Business School

2003

  • State-of-the-art Jerry and Kay Cox Hall opens, adding classroom and office space, as well as permanent space for the trading center and the Cocanougher Special Events Center

2007

  • Ricky W. Griffin serves as interim dean for one year during Jerry R. Strawser’s tenure as interim Executive Vice President and Provost of Texas A&M University

2008

  • Executive MBA Program ranked #1 by Wall Street Journal
  • Paul “Buck” Eckels ’52 gives $3.5M estate gift
  • Mays CPA pass rates among the highest in Texas

2009

  • Paul Kruse ’77 and Blue Bell Creameries fund chair in business at A&M
  • Peggy and Lowry Mays ’57 continue investment in Mays Business School
  • Anonymous bequest provides $3M to Mays Business School

2010

  • Mays finance program ranked 5th nationally by recruiters
  • Gallery Furniture provides interactive retailing library at Mays

2011

  • Accounting professor Mary Lea McAnally takes helm of Mays graduate programs
  • First students complete Trading, Risk and Investments Program

2012

  • Texas A&M Full-Time MBA rises into Top 10 in Bloomberg Businessweek ranking
  • Mays opens custom educational facility in CITYCENTRE Houston for Professional and Executive MBA programs
  • Center for Retailing Studies hosts 30th Retailing Summit in Dallas

2013

  • All Mays accounting programs break into Top 10
  • Mays undergraduate program receives all A’s in national rankings
  • Mays team wins national Wall Street Journal competition
  • Mays MBA team sweeps ethical leadership case competition

2014

  • Jerry Strawser leaves position as dean for job as vice president of finance and administration at Texas A&M
  • Ricky W. Griffin serves as interim dean
  • Mike Hitt receives inaugural Mays Lifetime Achievement Award for Research and Scholarship