The Startup Aggieland Seed Fund is offered to recognized clients of Startup Aggieland (“Treps”). The fund is designed to provide an educational experience and serve as a practical resource for advancing ventures to the next level of commercial development.
Seed Fund seeks to place capital in promising early-stage ventures owned or being launched by Texas A&M Treps. Treps receiving fund capital are encouraged, in turn, to “pay-forward” these awards by committing to contribute additional future resources to their venture and to support the entrepreneurial ecosystem at Texas A&M.
Seed Fund Applicant Criteria
Recipients of Seed Fund awards must meet the following criteria:
- Company client of Startup Aggieland (“Treps”)
- Currently-enrolled student at Texas A&M University (at least half-time; in good academic standing)
- Proven commitment to their venture’s success
Seed Fund Applicant Evaluation
Seed Fund applicants will be evaluated according to the following key metrics:
- Overall Business Model: Business concept is unique and suggests strong commercial potential; there is an understanding of the business model and how all pieces fit together
- Target Market: Clear understanding of their customers and how to reach them; demonstrated customer identification and validation
- Competitive Advantage: Clear understanding and comprehension of competitive space and company’s unique advantages
- Financial Strategy & Use of Resources: Request for funds is clear, and proposed use of resources is expected to significantly move the venture forward toward commercial success
- Risks & Assumptions: Understanding and admission of significant business risks and how company intends to mitigate those risks
- Goals & Measurement: If awarded, there is a clear path forward to launch or grow the business significantly; commitment to Seed Fund that progress will be measured and reported appropriately
All Seed Fund applicants agree to adhere to the Aggie Code of Honor, as stated in the University’s Student Rules: An Aggie does not lie, cheat or steal or tolerate those who do.
Seed Fund Associates will review applications for completion and satisfaction of the key metrics above, and will contact potential awardees for additional screening, which may include an in-person presentation to the Seed Fund Associates.
The mentors to the Startup Aggieland Seed Fund work closely with the students to mentor, educate and train. These individuals bring expertise across a wide spectrum of industries and entrepreneurship.
Seed Fund Applications
Deadlines for the next round of Seed Fund application will be updated this fall. Please check back at that time.