A formal application is required of all individuals seeking admission to the Ph.D. in Business Administration – Marketing program. Detailed information about the application process and online applications are on the following website: https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantLogin.asp?id=tamu-ms. All Ph.D. applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their application by December 10 because this allows them to be considered for some forms of financial support that may be unavailable for later applicants (including University, Mays, and Departmental Fellowships).
A. APPLICATION PROCESS
If you are currently enrolled in another graduate degree program at Texas A&M, please send an email to the Mays Ph.D. Program: firstname.lastname@example.org
The application procedure for all other candidates is as follows:
- A formal application must be submitted on-line at: https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantLogin.asp?id=tamu-ms
- As part of this on-line application process, applicants need to provide the names of three references and their email addresses. The references will then be contacted with detailed instructions on how to submit their letters of reference in an electronic format. Please note that references are strongly encouraged to submit recommendations electronically. Sending via postal mail will significantly slow the review process.
- Towards the end of the on-line application process, applicants need to upload:
A. A personal statement in which you should explain why you would like to pursue a Ph.D. in Business Administration – Marketing at Mays Business School at Texas A&M University. Limit your statement to two typed pages, double-spaced.
B. A resume (maximum two pages).
C. Transcripts of all university-level coursework since graduating from high school. Include English translations as applicable. Unofficial transcripts and translations are accepted and encouraged in the initial review stage.
D. GMAT or GRE scores and TOEFL scores, if applicable.
- At the end of the on-line application process, applicants will be asked to pay the application fee using a credit card. This is the only acceptable form of payment.
- The submission of additional materials that are not specifically requested can slow the review process.
- Applicants who meet the criteria for admission will later be asked to produce official test score reports, as well as official transcripts and degree verifications, properly translated into English where applicable. Detailed instructions will follow for those applicants. Admission to the Ph.D. Program will only be granted once such official documents are received.
- If any significant discrepancies between unofficial and official documents are revealed, your admission will be automatically withdrawn.
- Applications from international students can be reviewed without a TOEFL score on file. However, once a student is admitted to the program, university regulations may require the student to take the TOEFL in the first year here.
- Applicants do not need to send official GMAT, GRE or TOEFL scores with their application. Self-reported scores are acceptable in the initial review stage. If an application is approved, applicants will be asked to send official scores at that time.
B. REVIEW PROCESS
Complete applications will be reviewed by the Marketing Ph.D. Council. Admission to our program is extremely competitive, with approximately seventy applications received for two to three openings each fall. Multiple criteria are considered when evaluating candidates for admission. They include:
- Performance in previous degree programs;
- GMAT or GRE scores;
- Letters of recommendation attesting to the applicant’s potential for success in a competitive graduate program;
- A written personal statement in which the candidate demonstrates that his or her research interests are consistent with those of the Mays Marketing faculty and that the applicant’s professional and educational goals are congruent with the requirements and objectives of the Ph.D. Program.
Applicants who meet the initial selection criteria will be contacted for a telephone or personal interview. Applicants who successfully meet the admission criteria will be recommended for admission, subject to final review and approval by the Executive Associate Dean of Mays Business School.
The primary considerations in determining the number of students admitted each year are the faculty’s ability to supervise doctoral students’ education and the existence of adequate funding. Students are generally not admitted to the Ph.D. Program without financial support because the duties associated with research and graduate assistantships form an integral part of the Ph.D. educational process.
The awarding of your graduate assistantship is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check as required by Texas A&M University Regulation 33.99.14 governing all employees. If you have further questions regarding this policy please contact us.
Admission to Texas A&M University and any of its sponsored programs is open to qualified individuals subject to the above conditions regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or educationally unrelated handicaps.