Startup Living Learning Community
About the Community
The Startup Living Learning Community (Startup LLC) is a unique opportunity for entrepreneurial-minded first-year students. Participants can expect to be immersed in Texas A&M University’s entrepreneurship ecosystem with the McFerrin Center for Entrepreneurship. Startup LLC meets weekly each semester, introducing students to entrepreneurship through a dynamic, experiential structure.
What You’ll Do
During the fall and spring semesters, Startup LLC participants will attend weekly meetings and regular activities focused on growing a student’s entrepreneurial skill-set.
- Meetings- weekly meetings expose students to the mindset of entrepreneurship through interaction with successful entrepreneurs and hands-on activities for exploring the 21st century global entrepreneurial economy.
- Activities- residents will join successful entrepreneurs in discussions, participate in various leadership trainings, meet for group meals, and go on tours of local small businesses.
- BYO-Initiative- a key component of Startup LLC is the build-your-own-initiative program. Each semester, students will form teams to identify, design, and implement their own entrepreneurial initiative. Previous BYO-Initiatives include a scavenger hunt of the Brazos Valley and participation in pitch competitions.
- Field Trips- Startup LLC students will meet successful Aggie CEOs, investors, startup founders, and other influential entrepreneurs. Once a semester, students will travel as a community to explore the entrepreneurial ecosystem in a Texas City. Previous cities include Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston.
Is the Startup LLC Right for you?
Are you obsessed with Shark Tank? Do you always think of solutions to problems, big or small? Do you think people have the power to change the world? Do you start your own business in High School?
If you answered yes to any of these questions then you’re a perfect fit for Startup LLC. Startup LLC Residents are members of the McFerrin Center for Entrepreneurship community. Any freshman student at Texas A&M is welcome to join Startup LLC, no matter their major or college. You will have the opportunity to engage with student startup founders at Startup Aggieland, start a business in three days with 3 Day Startup, and compete for who has the best Big Idea through the Raymond Ideas Challenge.
To participate in the Startup Living Learning Community, students must:
- Be an incoming freshman of any major.
- Complete an online housing application through the TAMU Residence Life myHousing Portal and indicate interest in participating in an LLC.
- Include the Startup LLC as one of the top choices on the housing application.
- Elaborate as to why you want to be part of Startup LLC in the appropriate section of the online housing application.
It’s important to note that Startup LLC is competitive. Students who complete a quality and timely application are given preference. Members of Startup LLC will be house in the White Creek Apartments.
During a specific period of time, students selected for this program will be able to choose a roommate(s) from other students selected for the same Living Learning Program. Students may post profiles within the myHousing Portal and view responses by other students to their roommate questionnaire (i.e., sleep schedule, noise, cleanliness, etc.). Following this specific time period, students will be assigned a room with their requested roommate within the block of rooms designated for the Living Learning Program.
The Startup LLC has provided numerous opportunities for incoming freshman – ranging from speakers to social events with up-and-coming entrepreneurs to competitions showcasing the creative and entrepreneurial abilities of resident students.” Alec Calvillo ‘19