PLAN TO TAKE THE PREREQUISITES
Prerequisites are not required at the time of application. The deadline for applying Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors to complete prerequisites is May 2019. Transfer credit is accepted from accredited universities. Statistics and Programming equivalent courses can be approved on a case by case basis by the program office. Financial Accounting for business majors (ACCT 229) is required unless the student has already taken Financial Accounting for non business majors (ACCT 209).
If you have questions about prerequisites or if you need the override to register for ACCT 229, contact Allison Hayes, director of Admissions.
Substitutes for Prerequisite courses:
- Passing the CFA Level I exam prior to application
In order to increase your competitive advantage in the job market, we would recommend taking the following courses in addition to the two aforementioned prerequisites (ranked in order of importance):
- Computer Programming (Java, C, C++, Python, C#, R, Ruby, or Matlab)
- Managerial Accounting (ACCT 210 or ACCT 230 or equivalent)
- Macroeconomics (ECON 203 or equivalent)
Admission to the MS-Finance program is based on the assessment of several factors including:
|Assessment Factor||Desired Outcome|
|Undergraduate Academic Performance||Minimum Cumulative GPA: 3.0|
|GMAT or GRE Scores||Minimum is 50th percentile for Quantitative
Unofficial scores are accepted and strongly encouraged for the initial review process
If accepted, official GMAT or GRE scores are required
GRE code is 6003
GMAT code is 7B7-K9-0
|Resume||Sophomore/Junior applicants: One substantial finance or non-finance internship preferred, but not required
Senior and Post-graduate applicants: must have at least one substantial finance or non-finance internship
|Extracurricular Activities||Competitive athletic/extra-curricular/hobby experience|
|Interview (in person or video)||By invitation only expected for 1/3 of applicants|
|TOEFL scores (International students only)||Minimum score of 105 for internet based exam|
|Letters of Reference||Two required; at least one academic, one can be a mentor/supervisor as well as a current or former MSF student.|
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANT INFORMATION
Although the program is known as the “STEM to Stocks” Program, finance and accounting undergraduates from international universities are welcome in the program. The MSF program can be a great step for you whether it is your goal to be accepted to a PhD program, study in the U.S., or work in the U.S. for a few years. Despite the challenging environment, we have seen our international students have success in securing a position in the U.S.
The MS Finance Program is not a STEM designated degree. If you are looking for a STEM designated degree specifically, check out the Master of Science in Quantitative Finance (MSQF) degree at their website: msqf.math.tamu.edu.
Requirements for students receiving undergraduate degrees outside of the United States
- Professional credential evaluation report from World Education Services required
- The basic course-by-course evaluation report provides the following information:
- A list of all subjects completed at the post-secondary level
- A U.S. semester credit and grade equivalent for each course
- A U.S. grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale
- A designation of the level (upper or lower) of each undergraduate course
- Designate Texas A&M University Mays Business School within the WES website (hard copy reports will not be accepted).
- Applicants will receive a WES reference number which should be entered into the admissions application in ApplyYourself before the application can be submitted.
- IMPORTANT: application is considered incomplete without this report! No exceptions.
International students must submit either a TOEFL or IELTS exam score for consideration for admission. The program’s final assessment of the student’s English skills will be through the essay and interview.
- Required TOEFL Scores:
Minimum of 250 (computer-based)
- IELTS may be submitted for admission consideration. The MSF Program requires a minimum score of 7.0 on the IELTS.
- TOEFL Waiver. This requirement can be waived by meeting one of the following criteria:
- By receiving a baccalaureate degree with all four years of attendance at a U.S. college or university
There is very important information on the International Student Services website, and we urge all international applicants to review their site for immigration regulations and visa requirements.