Loudder Medal of Excellence
Students earning the Martha Loudder Medal of Excellence commit to pursuing a path of integrated learning, becoming reflective learners, and preparing to keep learning for a lifetime. Students take advantage of educational and experiential opportunities that equip them to succeed in the professional world.
All Mays undergraduate students are invited to pursue the Loudder Medal of Excellence. LME candidates graduating in December 2018 or later must apply for the Medal by August 30 for graduation the following May, and January 30 for the following December graduation. Candidates should complete this 3-step process:
COMMIT TO A LEARNING COMMUNITY
Engage in a learning community with these characteristics:
- Minimum one-semester participation
- Interactions in and out of the classroom with same group of peers (e.g., Regents’ Scholars, Freshman Business Initiative, BUSN 403, Business Honors, Startup LLC)
FOSTER DEVELOPMENT OF SELF THROUGH REFLECTIVE LEARNING
Create a thoroughly developed Mays Transformational Leader Portfolio through the Communication Lab or the BUSN 403 course:
- Develop the MTL portfolio website that you started in ISTM 210, showcasing a comprehensive view of your college career and at least two high-impact experiences (e.g., internships, study abroad, organization leadership). Your portfolio should represent the full scope of your college experience.
FOSTER DEVELOPMENT OF OTHERS THROUGH REFLECTIVE LEARNING
Gain leadership experience by coaching another student as they make an MTL portfolio:
- After your portfolio is approved by an LME staff member, you must meet at least once a month with a peer for a semester as they create their portfolio.
- These meetings are to provide students with further resources and support as they engage in reflective learning, by asking them thoughtful questions and reviewing what they have written.
- Beginning in fall 2018, you will be asked to provide testimony to the growth and development of the student you coached over the time you worked with them.
Following the completion of these requirements, you will meet with an LME staff member for an exit interview. In your graduating semester, you will be presented with a LME medal at a ceremony. You are encouraged to invite a guest to celebrate with you.
For more information, contact Mr. Patrick Williams.