Eight teams of future information technology professionals are winners of the 12th annual Center for the Management of Information Systems Case Competition held at Mays this October.
The competition offers MIS students the opportunity to sharpen their analytical, presentation and teamwork skills, says George Fowler, director of the Center for the Management of Information Systems (CMIS). “It challenges teams of undergraduates and graduate students to solve a real business problem posed by a company,” he said.
Solutions produced by the student teams are judged by business professionals, and winners are selected based on the originality, creativity and feasibility of their ideas. This October, students had a week to prepare a proposal for a business continuity and disaster recovery plan for a large energy corporation. Teams competed in separate undergraduate and graduate divisions. The case was prepared by PricewaterhouseCoopers.
“The students and companies involved just loved this year’s problem given the recent history of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita,” Fowler said.Â “The situation posed was real world and timely, and the judges were really pleased with the students’ proposed solutions.”
The 2006 competition winners are:
- 1st place: Ninja Consulting with senior management information systems (MIS) majors Emily David, Eric Bookbinder and Kevin Dunnahoo.
- 2nd place: Foresight Consulting with senior MIS majors Brandon Brickley and Michael Buller and senior marketing and MIS major Erik Hausmann
- 3rd place: Puppy Dog Consulting with senior MIS majors Laura Duncan and Michael Knudson and junior MIS major Scott Perkins
- 4th place: PerfectBox Consulting with senior MIS majors Ashley Baldridge, Robert Black and Sam Mason
- 1st place: IT Consulting with MIS graduate students Andrew Rolf, Felipe Torres and Pranay Jaiswal.
- 2nd place: Sans Pareil Consulting with MIS graduate students Bhavani Radhakrishnan, Madan Sundaresan and Srivatsan Parthasarathy
- 3rd place: Shadow Fax Consulting with MIS graduate students Jignasa Desai, Nimish Sheth and Preetam Shetty
- 4th place: Negocio Consulting with graduate MIS majors Arunkumar Kotiedath, Jincy George and Maheshwar Dattatri
Each member of the winning teams received scholarships (1st place – $350; 2nd – $250; 3rd – $150; 4th – $100).Â Â The third place team selected from each room during the first round also received a $50 scholarship. In addition to scholarships, the winners also received gas cards from ExxonMobil (1st – $200; 2nd – $150; 3rd – $100; and 4th – $100) and other corporate mementos.
The 2006 competition was sponsored by Anadarko, ExxonMobil, Dell, Deloitte, OfficeMax and PNM Resources. All are members of the CMIS Advisory Board. “The competition gives students great exposure to corporations,” Fowler said, “and it gives the companies the opportunity to contribute to the students’ education.”