M.B. Zale Leadership Scholars
Named for the innovative merchant, M.B. Zale, the Zale Leadership Scholar program is the leading undergraduate professional development program for top students in retailing at Mays Business School. Selection as an M.B. Zale Leadership Scholar is highly competitive. Five to ten students are chosen each semester based on their academic achievement, leadership potential, and above all, their commitment to pursue a retailing career.
Through hands-on learning experiences, such as luncheons with executives, travel to retail stores and HQ offices, networking opportunities, mentoring opportunities and reflective writing, students will:
- Build greater confidence in professional communication and personal branding
- Gain first-hand industry knowledge by engaging with visiting Executive Professors
- Practice and receive education in business etiquette
- Interact with CEO level retailers when they are executive professors for a day and/or during the M.B. Zale Visionary Merchant Lecture Series
- Travel to New York City and other Metro cities and participate in appointments with multiple retail headquarters, buying offices and flagship stores
- Receive an opportunity to interview with Signet Jewelers – owner and operator of Zales who has rotational talent development programs in merchandising, finance, strategy, and supply chain.
*Students will receive 100 points per semester towards their professional distinction for the two semesters they are M.B. Zale Leadership Scholars. For Professional Distinction in Retailing points, go here.
Our 2023-2024 Zale Scholars
|Ally DeBorde||Sophomore||ACCT /PPA|
|Heather Havlak||Senior||BUSN H & MKTG|
|Emma Trueba||Senior||BUSN H & MGMT|
“Being a Zale Scholar and serving as an ambassador for the Center for Retailing Studies, Mays Business School, and Texas A&M University was truly one of the most transformative experiences of my college career. The Zale Scholar Program allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and into the world of retail with confidence.
I am proud to be part of retail’s future!”
Addison Holcomb ’20
“The opportunities provided to me through The Center for Retailing Studies and The M.B. Zale Leadership Scholar Program have been unparalleled in the advancement of my retailing career. I have traveled to New York City, Dallas, and Austin numerous times to learn about industry trends. It is through these learning experiences where I have made connections with retail executives, which ultimately lead me to my internship with francesca’s in Houston.”
Kennedy Mickley ’19