I research, teach, and have worked in the arena of Supply Chain Management (SCM).
In a career spanning over a decade in the industry, I have worked in various areas of SCM, specifically procurement, supplier development and new product development, with ITW Signode Inc, Procter & Gamble and Tata Motors. My empirical research with firms such as Tata Motors, Tata Daewoo, BMW, and Knorr Bremse focused on procurement, sourcing of modular components and learning between buyers and suppliers, and has informed the practice of supply chain at these firms. Currently I am advising the Government of India on streamlining the Public Distribution System and improving the efficacy of the Mid-Day Meal scheme. I am also working with startups such as Technosys and Edunirvana on their strategic positioning, and Acuva Technologies on their supply chain strategy.
My academic research has two streams. The first stream focuses on how buyers and suppliers can work together, how supply chains learn, and how this learning can depreciate. In this stream I have published in academic journals such as Management Science, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, California Management Review, and Production and Operations Management. The second stream looks at how firms can benefit from better raw materials sourcing and new manufacturing techniques for producing these raw materials, including Nanomachining. In this stream I have published in academic journals such as Wear, Computational Materials Science, and the Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering.
I teach courses in the arena of SCM. I have received many teaching awards including Best Course Taught (Supply Chain Management) and Favorite Professor by MSTM 2013 class at UIUC, and have been on the Excellent teachers list of UIUC for all seven years that I have taught there (2008-2015). I was also nominated for the Teaching Excellence Award for Undergraduate Teaching in 2012.
I am an Editorial Review Board member and Senior Editor (Special Issue) of Production and Operations Management, and Associate Editor of Journal of Operations Management. I also review regularly for Management Science, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, and European Journal of Operational Research.
In my personal life, I am very actively involved with the education of underprivileged children, specifically with Laxmi Ashram, an organization in Kausani hills in India, that works for the education of underprivileged girls.
My recent manuscripts include:
Supply Chain Management
- Agrawal, A., Muthulingam S., Rajapakshe T. Forthcoming. How Sourcing of Interdependent Components affects Quality in Automotive Supply Chains. Production and Operations Management.
- Muthulingam, S., Agrawal, A. 2016. Does Quality Knowledge Spillover at Shared Suppliers? An Empirical Investigation. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 18(4):525 – 544.
- Kwon, H. , Xu, W. , Agrawal, A., Muthulingam, S. 2016. Impact of Bayesian Learning and Externalities on Strategic Investment. Management Science, 62(2): 550 – 570.
- Agrawal, A., Kwon, H. , Kim Y., Muthulingam, S. 2016. Investment in Shared Suppliers: Effect of Learning, Spillover, and Competition. Production and Operations Management, 25(4):736-750.
- Agrawal, A., Bhattacharya, S., Hasija, S. 2016. Cost-reducing Innovation and the Role of Patent Intermediaries in Increasing Market Efficiency. Production and Operations Management, 25(2):173-191.
- Agrawal, A., Muthulingam, S. 2015. Does Organizational Forgetting affect Vendor Quality Performance? – An Empirical Investigation. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 17(3):350-367.
- Agrawal, A., Wassenhove, L., De Meyer, A. 2014. The Sourcing Hub and Upstream Supplier Networks. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 16(2): 238-250.
- Agrawal, A. 2014. Managing Raw Material in Supply Chains. European Journal of Operational Research, 239: 685-698.
- Agrawal, A., De Meyer, A., Wassenhove, L. 2014. Managing Value in Supply Chain – Case Studies on the Sourcing Hub Concept. California Management Review, 56: 23-54.
Manufacturing and Nanomachining
- Goel S., Cross G., Stukowski A., Gamsjger A., Beake B., Agrawal A. Designing nanoindentation simulation studies by appropriate indenter choices: Case study on single crystal Tungsten. Computational Materials Science. April, 2018.
- Agrawal A., Goel S., Rashid W., and Price M. Prediction of surface roughness during hard turning of AISI 4340 steel (69 HRC). Applied Soft Computing. 30, 279-286, 2015.
- Goel S., Luo X., Agrawal A., and Reuben R. Diamond machining of silicon: A review of advances in molecular dynamics simulation International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 88, 131-164, 2015
- Goel S., Agrawal A., and Faisal, N. Can a carbon nano-coating resist metallic phase transformation in silicon substrate during nanoimpact? Wear. 315, 38-41, 2014.
- Goel S., Joshi S., Abdelal, G., and Agrawal A., Molecular dynamics simulation of nanoindentation of Fe 3 C and Fe 4 C. Materials Science and Engineering (A). 597, 331-341, 2014.
- Goel S., Faisal N., Ratia V., Agrawal A., and Stukowski A. Atomistic Investigation on the Structure-Property Relationship during Thermal Spray Nanoparticle Impact Computational
Materials Science. 84, 163-174, 2013.
- Goel S., Rashid W., Luo X., Agrawal A., and Jain V. A Theoretical Assessment of Surface Defect Machining and Hot Machining of Nanocrystalline Silicon Carbide. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering. 136(2), 2013.
- Goel S., Stukowski A., Luo X., Agrawal A., and Reuben R. Anisotropy of Single Crystal 3C-SiC during Nanometric Cutting. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and
Engineering. 21(6), 2013.
- Goel S., Yan J., Luo X., and Agrawal A. Incipient Plasticity in 4H-SiC during Quasistatic Nanoindentation. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. 34, 330-337, 2013.