Certificate in International Business
The Certificate in International Business enables students to establish an international business and culture knowledge base that will prepare you to meet global business challenges. The certificate program is open to Mays Business School students seeking a B.B.A. (accounting, business honors, finance, management, management information systems, marketing and supply chain management).
The certificate requires 18 credit hours that may be integrated as part of the undergraduate business curriculum. With careful planning, the 18 hours required can be completed within the 120 hours of the undergraduate business curriculum.
International Business Courses: 12 hours
Courses should be selected from a list of International Business Courses or taken on a Mays faculty-led or semester exchange program. Three of the twelve hours must be taken in your major:
- Accounting majors – ACCT 445/IBUS 445 International Accounting
- Finance majors – FINC 445/IBUS 446 International Finance
- Management majors – MGMT 450/IBUS 450 International Environment of Business
- Management Information Systems majors – SCMT 340 Global Supply Chain Management
- Marketing majors – MKTG 401/IBUS 401 Global Marketing
- Supply Chain Management majors – SCMT 340 Global Supply Chain Management
Non-Business International Courses: 6 hours
Six credit hours of non-business international courses from the approved international elective course list or university-level foreign language (credit by exam does not count).
International Experience: 1 month minimum
International experience (a summer or semester study abroad, reciprocal exchange, internship, or volunteer program). Students may also combine multiple short-term trips (program days must exceed 30). Visit the Study Abroad section of this website for more information.
Steps to Completion
To earn a certification in International Business, be sure to follow these steps:
- Plan ahead: You can get started as early as your freshman year. It is important for you to schedule the appropriate classes. You are responsible for completing the required courses and international experience.
Need help? Check with your academic advisor or set up an appointment with the Center for International Business Studies (CIBS) in Wehner 230.
- Complete before graduation: You must complete all requirements of the certificate program prior to graduation. To receive certificate recognition, apply during your graduating semester. The certificate program will be posted to the student transcript upon graduation from Mays Business School.
- Apply now: CIBS will review your application and confirm successful completion of the certificate requirements during your graduating semester.