Petroleum Ventures Certificate
Pictured: Board member’s Anthony Bahr ’91 (left) and Jay Graham ’92 generously funded the Petroleum Ventures Program through an endowed gift.
The Petroleum Ventures Program Certificate (“PVP”) is a unique differentiator for finance majors
with a desire to join high finance in the energy industry. In addition to business curriculum, Mays students will also be exposed to a series of unique, high-level Petroleum Engineering courses with a focus on real world application of finance and petroleum concepts. This interdisciplinary environment will provide students with a more competitive resume, and opportunities for expanded roles in the energy industry.
PVP certificate holders are viewed as students who are committed to working hard to further their
education and to better prepare themselves for integrated roles in the industry.
What are the benefits of PVP?
- 100% job placement to date in the Energy Investment Banking industry & large consulting
- Allows applicants direct access to board members in the Energy IBD & Energy Private Equity
field through networking events
- Various professional development programs
- Graduation with both business (Finance undergrad) & Petroleum Engineering (PVP Certificate)
- Vastly more cost effective, competitive, and time efficient alternative to programs such as
Mays Masters of Finance, and Masters in Financial Management
What type of students thrive in the program?
- Undergraduate finance students who have a desire to work in Energy Finance, Petroleum
Investment Management, or have a goal of senior management of an oil and gas company
and/or a goal of one day creating and managing their own energy company.
- Finance Students that are self-starters, have an entrepreneurial mindset, advanced problem
solving skills, and a strong will to succeed.
What does a typical career path look like for a PVP Finance member?
- As students, this path begins with a series of the extracurricular events that PVP hosts (dinners, interviews, professional speaker’s series, etc.), semester long asset valuation projects, and deep-dives into the mechanics of the Oil & Gas industry under the Department of Petroleum Engineering. It is here that Finance students are able to combine their business acumen with Petroleum Engineering students to craft a truly diverse individual.
- After graduation, students finance knowledge combined with the fundamental understanding of energy assets will give them an unparalleled advantage when seeking placement at top Energy Investments Banking groups in Houston.
- Typically this path will lead to a stint in Energy Private Equity after several years in Energy IB. Our board members lead many of the top firms in this area.
- Once members of the program are well versed in the ins and outs of energy deal flow, they will be perfectly positioned to leverage the relationships fostered in College Station with former Petroleum Engineering students to start their own energy firms that will compete on the world stage.
Informational’s for the program will be held on the following dates in the Reliant Trading Center (Wehner 192):
Wednesday, February 27th at 5:30 PM
Thursday, February 28th at 4:00 PM
How to apply?
- Applications are open now! To apply, submit an application to this link by midnight, March 8,
2019 (NOTE: if you have already applied to another high impact program through the Mays
Business School, you will need to make an additional account to submit this application)