Titans of Investing
Applications are now being accepted for the Titans of Investing (FINC 427/669) for fall 2021. Complete applications must include the items listed below. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications received after the deadline will be NOT be considered.
Titans of Investing applications are due April 18th at 11:59 PM CST.
Questions should be sent directly to Lauren Welford at email@example.com
Titans of Investing will accept up to 9 nominations. At least 1 faculty nomination is required. Other recommendations are encouraged. Students must send the link to the recommender and the recommender will upload using this link: https://mays.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_57JtceyOMIXfmce
IMPORTANT: Recommendation letters are not required, if a faculty member or other recommender is unable to write a letter of support they can still fill out the quick recommender survey.
Most nominations for business students come from Texas A&M Accounting and Finance faculty members. For your convenience, links to contact information for accounting and finance professors are below:
Notice to applicants:
- Only completed applications will be considered.
- Application decision notification will be sent to your TAMU email address.
- Non-business applicants MUST register for FINC 409/635, during preregistration for the semester for which they are applying for Titans. The Finance Department opens all available seats for FINC 409/635 on Howdy. No seats are held back, which means the only way to get a seat is by registering through Howdy. There are no force requests for FINC 409/635 because every classroom is at physical capacity. Our advice is to monitor Howdy and register if a seat becomes available.
- FINC 409 for non-business undergraduates
- FINC 635 fro non-business graduates
- Applicants who have not completed FINC 341 or FINC 409/635, not currently enrolled in the course for fall 2019, and do not register for the course for spring 2020, will not be eligible for Titans of Investing.
Applications must be submitted online by 11:59 pm CST on the date listed above.
Important Application Instructions
In addition, all applicants are required to attend the final class on April 29, 2021. Dress is business professional. This class will be in person. Beginning at 5:30pm, class will be meeting at the Student Recreation Center in room 1130.
Fall applications are due each April and spring applications are due each November. Applicants are notified of admission decisions, by email, at the end of the semester.
Class size: Limited to 15-17 students
Class format: Junto style (Ben Franklin model for a “club for mutual self-improvement”); class meets weekly, with the professor attending every other class, and the students directing themselves on the “off weeks.”
Executive professor: Britt Harris, current President, CEO, and CIO of the University of Texas Investment Management Co. (UTIMCO), former CIO of Texas Teachers Retirement System; former CEO for Bridgewater Associates; current member of the President’s Working Group for Financial Markets; Advisory Board Member for the NYSE.
Purpose: Provide a broad perspective on both financial markets and global developments, focusing on longer-term context and current market conditions.
Characteristics of successful nominees/applicants: High capacity students who are likely to be unusually successful in business, people who are deemed particularly likely to do something good for others with whatever success they do achieve, people who are interesting.
Course description: Seven modules are completed on long-term market characteristics, theory, efficient markets versus behavioral finance; successful active management methods, policy development, hedge fund strategies, emerging markets, and Ben Franklin’s intentional lifestyle and accumulated wisdom and impact.
Other activities: Seventeen summarized classic works in finance are reviewed; each Titan also reads and summarizes one additional book each semester; each student maintains an active investment portfolio (or portfolios) throughout the semester; economic reports are presented each week, all classes attended by the professor end with a dinner.
Please address all questions to Lauren Welford at firstname.lastname@example.org