Launched November 1st, 2013, this angel fund is primarily operated by a select group of Texas A&M finance students with at least two semesters of remaining coursework whose members will operate under the oversight and mentoring of Research Valley Funds and member investors of the fund.
The Maroon Fund initially began in November 2013 with the idea of Texas A&M students managing a live angel capital fund with the guidance of Research Valley Funds Portfolio Manager, James Lancaster. The Maroon Fund encompasses three teams, all of which are a vital piece of the puzzle in terms of the overall success of the fund. The three teams of the Maroon Fund include Investor Relations, Deal Research, and Technology/Intellectual Property.
Maroon Fund I, LLC (MFI) passed $250,000 in size over the Summer of 2014 and is actively seeking to grow that capital base. In addition to growing assets under management, the Maroon Fund is directly in charge of sourcing potential investments and performing due diligence on promising products/ideas, which is the Deal Structuring and Technology/Intellectual Property teams roles.
The fund actively searches for new student associates who are interested in a start-up experience from the inside within the MFI and that are internally motivated, great problem solvers, and intellectually curious. This fund is not only adding great value to the student body, but gives students first-hand exposure to the world of angel investment and venture capital.
This is a three credit elective Finance course, with meeting times on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 – 5 p.m. The class size is limited to 20 students and enrollment is based on the qualifications outlined below plus an interview.
About Research Valley Funds, LLC Research Valley Funds, LLC, is a family of funds located in the Research Valley, home to Texas A&M University and the Texas A&M University System. Formed in July 2009, our funds are primarily dedicated to making early stage angel investments in science and technology ventures in and around the Research Valley.
- Complete applications must include all of the following:
- The application is available here
- Please note there is not a fee for this application and there should be only one required letter of recommendation. We are working with the developers to ensure this. If you encounter any problems, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will see that this application is for MS/MRE and PHD applications, you are in the correct place. You will choose U.S. Citizen, even if you are not. Under the “Personal Information” section, at “Degree/Major/Program” using the drop down box, select Maroon Fund. After you select “Save” more options will be available on the left menu as well.
- The essays for this application are at the bottom under the Ph.D. essays.
- One nomination from a faculty member
- At least one nomination from a Texas A&M faculty member should be submitted through the application system. If the Nominator has trouble with this, they may submit by sending it email@example.com, to but the first method is preferred.
- If application does not include all the required documentation, it is considered incomplete and will not be processed.
- Applicants must be an undergraduate U3 or U4 FINC major in good standing at Texas A&M University with at least one year until planned graduation date or an MBA, MFM or MSF student with director approval.
Nominations must come from a Texas A&M faculty member and must be submitted by the application close date to firstname.lastname@example.org. For your convenience, links to contact information for finance professors are below:
- Minimum recommended GPA of 3.5
- Full-time Texas A&M University student
- In good standing with the University
- Attended Texas A&M University for at least one full academic year
- Have two semesters remaining at the College Station campus prior to graduation
Time frame for applications
Application will be opened in October
Application closes on Monday, November 13th at 11:59 pm EST
Interviews (if needed) the week of November 13th
Final decisions by Monday, November 20th.
Applicants are notified of admission decisions by email.