Department of Marketing
The Department of Marketing at the Mays Business School aims to create excellence among students, in scholarship, and in the society. Our small classroom sizes, and award-winning faculty members deliver cutting edge knowledge that includes real-world project-based approaches and support universal learning. Our students specialize in one of the five tracks and are encouraged to seek internship(s) as well as other professional development activities. Our nationally recognized study abroad program, offered by the Center for International Business Studies (CIBS) helps students to prepare for a global marketplace.
As a source of innovation, the marketing department creates a unique environment that promotes creative thought, knowledge production, and insight into the field. Our mission is to advance marketing scholarship through world-class education and research initiatives. The marketing major reflects these objectives through in-depth coverage of marketing concepts, tools, and techniques in the courses.
Recognition For Excellence
The Department of Marketing is consistently ranked for its excellence in research, teaching, and service. Our award-winning faculty members emphasize excellence. Some of the major indicators of excellence are:
- #13 ranking of undergraduate program, U.S. News & World Report (2022)
- #2 Best Master’s in Marketing degree programs, College Choice (2018)
- #4 in marketing research productivity, UT-Dallas Research Rankings (2017-2020)
- #20 ranked school to study marketing among U.S. colleges, College Factual (2019)
- Top 25 U.S. undergraduate marketing program. Source: DesignRush (2019).
- #14 ranked worldwide for research productivity based on number of publications in the Journal of Marketing and Journal of Marketing Research (2009-2018), American Marketing Association DOC SIG (2019)
- #24 ranked worldwide for research productivity based on number of publications in the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Consumer Research and Marketing Science (2014-2018), UT-Dallas Research Rankings (2019)
- #27 ranked worldwide for research productivity based on number of publications in the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Consumer Research and Marketing Science (2009-2018). American Marketing Association DOC SIG (2019).
The department offers three distinct academic programs:
Undergraduate Program (BBA- Marketing): The Bachelor of Business Administration — Marketing program prepares students to become critical thinkers, innovators, and strategy driven marketers who can utilize their communication skills, and global awareness to solve some of the world’s challenging problems. The BBA in Marketing program offers five career tracks — Advertising Strategy, Analytics and Consulting, HealthCare Marketing, Professional Selling and Sales Management, and Strategic Retailing.
Masters in Marketing (MS Mktg): Ranked #2 by the College Choice program (2018), the MS Marketing program allows our students to develop knowledge and skills that are market driven. The small cohort set up enables our students to receive personalized advising. Students who enroll in the program appreciate the rigor and can seek job opportunities in the US., and abroad.
Ph.D. in Business Administration: The PhD in Business Administration – Marketing major program combines rigor and tailored research and teaching pedagogy to enable effective learning. Our students begin working on research manuscripts from year one.
Centers and Institutes
The Department of Marketing oversees
Why Mays Marketing:
Student Focused Culture
As a Department, we have always highlighted the need for project-based learning and a student first culture. Our classroom innovations, include custom designed simulations, real life client interactions, as well as a heavy emphasis on practical knowledge. Our students can specialize by directing their studies in one of the five tracks available. Outside of the classroom, we also offer students an opportunity to earn Professional Distinction points. This opportunity is highly popular in Texas A&M and is accessible to students across the campus.
Our faculty members are internationally renowned scholars in the broad areas of Strategy, Consumer Behavior, and Quantitative Modelling. Currently, Dr. Alina Sorescu serves as a co- editor the International Journal of Research in Marketing (IJRM), and Dr. Hari Sridhar as the Editor in Chief for the Journal of Marketing (JM). Research by our faculty members have been widely cited in the news media such as the Financial Times, CNN, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times. The Marketing Department is ranked #13 globally (US Global News Report, 2022).